Powered by RedCircle
I’m joined by the Godmother of Grief, the Co-Founder of Modern Loss, writer, speaker, and big inspirer of SSFYL, Rebecca Soffer. When Rebecca was 30, her mother was killed in a car accident one hour after dropping Rebecca off from a family camping trip to the Adirondacks. Four years later, her father died of a heart attack while on vacation. So much loss at such a relatively young age.
She began to navigate life as a parentless only child and co-founded Modern Loss as a place to share the unspeakably taboo, unbelievably hilarious, and unexpectedly beautiful terrain of life after a death. With Modern Loss, Rebecca hopes to bring that refreshing openness to a broader audience, and community. Her wit can only be matched by her vibrance. She is a true leader in this space with the delicate way she can weave a jovial spirit into a scene of darkness.
- Rebecca’s stories of loss
- Traumatic sudden loss versus prolonged expected loss: how grief differs and brings different loads to carry
- The loneliness of being an only child navigating loss
- Psychotherapy, EMDR, talk therapy, medication and other means to support healing in grief and loss
- What inspired her to write her books
- Bracing yourself for “trigger days” or grief seasons
- How she finds determination to find joyful moments and hope in everyday life